There are so many benefits of walking. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and prevention recommends that people get at least 150 minutes of physical activity each week. This activity can include walking, which is something that just about everyone can do. Plus, you don't need fancy equipment or have to go far to do it. Walking is pretty much free, too. All you need is a good pair of shoes and the discipline to get out there every day.
The benefits of walking daily, according to the CDC, includes improving health, living longer, and reducing risks associated with heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, depression, and some cancers. Just taking at least 30 minutes each day to walk will help keep you healthier. You can either walk alone, or you can walk with others. You can walk outside, or you can even choose to walk indoors. Either way, it's a good idea to make walking a daily part of your life.
Volusia Seniors, here are some options and resources to get you walking. Choose the option(s) that will work best for you:
- Join a walking club. There are walking clubs that will get you out walking with others. This is a great way for Volusia Seniors to engage in activity and be social at the same time. You don't have to walk alone, which may be a benefit in itself for some people. In Volusia County, you will find the Happy Wanders Walking, which meets up regularly for walks around the county. There is also the Sun Seekers Walking Club in New Smyrna Beach. Additionally, check with your local community. Many individual neighborhoods have a walking club, so you may be able to join that.
- Start a walking club. If you can't find a walking club that is close to you, that fits your schedule, or that interests you, start your own. Most likely, there are other Volusia Seniors who would like to be in your walking club. Once you start it, you can create a group for it on Facebook, Meetup.com, or you can run it old school by just telling people about it verbally. You can start a walking club just for those in your community, with friends, or open it up to other Volusia Seniors around the county.
- Walk at home. Some people prefer not to go outside to walk, for whatever reasons. Maybe it's the heat, rain, dogs, or whatever it is that they want to avoid. Whether you want to talk in the house all of the time or just do it once in a while to switch up your routine, there are some great walk at home type of workout videos that you can use for free. All you need to do is go to YouTube from your TV or computer, and type into the search box "1 mile walk video" or "2 mile walk video." There are many available, they are free, and they will give you the equivalent workout of taking a walk. Alternatively, you can purchase some walk at home DVD's to have and use whenever you want.
- Walk the mall. In between walking outside and walking in your home, you will find the option of being a mall walker. Many people around the country turn to mall walking, because it gives them an indoor course where they can get their exercise. The Volusia Mall offers mall walking all week long, and three laps around it inside is equal to 1.5 miles. You can do it yourself, join a group, or start one that meets there.
- Go hiking. If you are ready to take the walking off into nature then you may want to join a local hiking group, or get a friend or two and go hiking. There are some great places in Volusia County to go hiking. If you want to do it more regularly, you may want to join a hiking group or start one. There are hiking groups on Meetup.com.
Walking is great for you! Not only is it good for your body, but it's good for your mind, too. Be sure to invest in a good pair of walking shoes, so that your feet have the support you need and you can help reduce injury risks. If you will be walking or hiking alone, be sure to let someone know where you are. Whether you walk alone, with a friend, or you are part of a group, it's a great way to get healthier.
Keep walking, Volusia Seniors!