Are you a senior in Volusia County who is looking for outdoor things to do? No problem! There are many great outdoor activities that seniors in Volusia County can enjoy. From Edgewater to Ormond Beach and from Daytona Beach Shores to DeLand, there are plenty of activities to choose from. Be sure check the Volusia Senior events calendar regularly, because there are a variety of activities added to the calendar throughout the year.
Outdoor Activities for Seniors in Volusia County
- Paved biking trails - There are numerous great paved bike trails in Volusia County. Load up your bike and go take a ride.
- Hiking trails - Whether you want a short and easy hike or a longer more challenging one you have options to consider.
- Natural springs - Visit one of the many beautiful natural springs in Volusia County and surrounding areas, where you can snorkel, float, or just view the manatees.
- See the manatees - Every winter on a cold morning you can visit Blue Spring State Park in Orange City and see many manatees huddled into the spring to keep warm. On a cold winter morning you can see hundreds of them in the spring.
- Take a drive - There are several wildlife drives within an hour of Volusia County, providing a great place to view wildlife.
- Get walking - If you don't want to walk alone, join a walking group, such as Happy Wanderers.
- Learn about nature - Take one of the free monthly classes or events offered through the Explore Volusia program.
- Pick your own fruit - Visit one of the local farms when the fruit is in season and pick your own strawberries and blueberries.
- Take a boat tour - There are numerous places you can take a boat tour in the area, including at Cracker Creek and the Marine Discovery Center. If you want to drive an hour over to Winter Park, take the historic Winter Park Boat Tour.
Of course, you can always hit up the beach for outdoor activities, too. There are some local places that offer classes on the beach, such as tai chi, yoga, and even drum circles. But if you are looking for something beyond the beach, give one of these activities a try. One of the great things about living in Florida is that November through April the weather is perfect for getting outdoors and having some fun. Plus, it's good for your health to spend time outside in nature.